UK Tax Advice for Australian Expats

Whether you’ve recently moved to the United Kingdom or have been living there for a while, as an Australian expat, navigating the intricacies of the UK tax system can be quite complex. The intertwining of Australian and UK tax regulations means that there’s no one-size-fits-all solution for your unique situation. 

This article aims to provide you with an essential guide to understanding UK tax obligations, while also highlighting some important aspects of your Australian tax responsibilities.

UK Tax Residency Status

The most crucial aspect that determines your tax situation in the UK is your residency status. The UK tax system uses the Statutory Residence Test (SRT), a rule based on the number of days you spend in the UK. If you’re in the UK for 183 days or more in a tax year, you’re considered a UK tax resident and you will be taxed on your worldwide income.

However, if you’re in the UK for less than 183 days, your tax situation becomes more complicated. The SRT will consider your ties to the UK, such as family, accommodation, and employment. It’s advisable to seek professional advice to understand how these factors can impact your tax situation.

Get a free Australian mortgage assessment today.

Apply online to get a free recommendation with real rates and repayments.

Income Tax in the UK

As a UK tax resident, you will need to pay tax on your worldwide income. The UK uses a progressive tax system with bands ranging from 20% to 45%, based on your total income. 

Notably, the UK tax year runs from April 6 to April 5, a period that differs from the Australian tax year of July 1 to June 30. This difference could complicate tax planning and require careful attention when declaring your income.

Understanding Double Taxation

One of the critical concerns for Australian expats is the potential of double taxation, paying tax in both Australia and the UK. Fortunately, the double taxation agreement (DTA) between Australia and the UK prevents this. 

The DTA ensures you do not pay tax twice on the same income. However, understanding how the DTA applies to your individual circumstances can be quite complex, hence, consulting a tax professional can be of great help.

National Insurance Contributions

Similar to Australia’s superannuation system, the UK has National Insurance contributions. These are compulsory payments made by employees and employers to fund various state benefits. While living in the UK, you’ll need to make these contributions if you’re an employee earning above a certain threshold or self-employed making a profit above a certain limit. 

It’s worth noting that these contributions may impact your Australian superannuation. Hence, you should seek advice on how to best manage these obligations.

Capital Gains Tax

If you sell a property or shares while you’re a UK resident, you might be liable for capital gains tax in the UK. However, the tax treatment of capital gains can be complex, particularly when assets were acquired while you were an Australian tax resident. 

It’s essential to seek professional advice to understand your capital gains tax obligations. For managing your Australian taxation, our sister company, Odin Tax, can help you with this. We are a team of experienced tax advisors who specialise in Australian tax law. You can contact us here.

Inheritance Tax in the UK

The UK’s inheritance tax can be quite substantial and affects anyone who is deemed domiciled in the UK. This includes Australian expats who live in the UK. 

The rules around UK domicile status are complex, and your liability for inheritance tax can depend on various factors, including the length of your stay in the UK and your intention to return to Australia.


Understanding your tax obligations as an Australian expat in the UK can be quite complex due to the intertwining of two different tax systems. It’s crucial to seek professional advice to ensure you meet your obligations while taking advantage of any potential tax benefits.

Also, while living in the UK, don’t forget your Australian tax obligations. These could include reporting your worldwide income if you’re still considered an Australian resident for tax purposes and managing your superannuation obligations.

The need for professional tax advice cannot be overemphasised. It is essential in helping you navigate the complexities of both the UK and Australian tax systems, ensuring that you can focus on enjoying your time in the UK without the worry of unexpected tax issues. 

It is a worthy investment to make the most of your expat journey. Remember, every individual’s tax situation is unique, and this article is a guide, not a substitute for professional advice.

What about Australian Home Loan Advice for Aussie Expats?

Odin Mortgage can help Australian expats and foreign investors who are looking for a home loan in Australia. 

We are the leading mortgage brokerage that specialise in helping expats get approved for home loans in Australia. We have a team of experienced mortgage brokers who understand the challenges that expats face when applying for home loans.

Contact us today to find out more about the right expat home loan for your needs.

Get a free Australian mortgage assessment today.

Apply online to get a free recommendation with real rates and repayments.

Frequently asked questions

Whether or not an Australian pays tax on UK income depends on their residency status. If you are a UK resident, you will have to pay UK tax on all of your income, regardless of where it is earned. However, if you are not a UK resident, you will only have to pay UK tax on your UK-sourced income.

Yes, Australians can claim tax back from the UK if they have paid too much tax. However, you will need to meet certain criteria in order to be eligible for a refund. For example, you will need to have been a UK resident for less than 12 months in the tax year.

The answer to this question depends on a number of factors, including your income level, your family circumstances, and your spending habits. 

In general, the tax system in the UK is more progressive than the tax system in Australia. This means that higher-income earners pay a higher percentage of their income in tax in the UK. However, the cost of living in the UK is also higher than in Australia.

Yes, there is a double taxation agreement between the UK and Australia. This agreement prevents you from being taxed twice on the same income. The agreement also ensures that you can claim tax credits in one country for taxes paid in the other country.

Odin Mortgage Logo
Featured In
Geo Expat Logo
Asia xpat Logo Logo
Expat Living Logo
Easy Expat Logo

10 Best Tips for Australian Expats to Maximise Borrowing Power & Approval Success