Teachers Mutual Bank Review for Australian Expats

Teachers Mutual Bank Review

Teachers Mutual Bank is one of the largest mutual banks in Australia, with over 200,000 members and assets of over $8 billion. It is a member-owned bank, which means that its members are also its shareholders. This gives members a say in how the bank is run and ensures that the bank’s profits are used to benefit its members.

TMB is generally viewed favourably by the general public in Australia. It is seen as being a reliable and trustworthy bank that offers competitive products and services. However, since they do not offer mortgage-related products and services, you will have to find another lender for your Australian expat home loan.

Here are some other lenders that you can go with instead:

Allow us to find you the perfect home loan.

Apply online to get expert recommendations with real interest rates and repayments.

Facts About Teachers Mutual Bank

Teachers Mutual Bank is a customer-owned bank, which means that it is owned by its members, founded on 1966.

Teachers Mutual Bank has over 200,000 members and assets of over $8 billion.

Teachers Mutual Bank is a member of the Australian Banking Association and the Customer Owned Banking Association.

How Do I Apply for an Expat Mortgage?

Here are the steps on how to apply for an expat mortgage:

  • Find a lender that offers expat mortgages: There are a number of lenders that offer expat mortgages, but not all of them will be suitable for your needs. It is important to compare different lenders and their terms and conditions before you apply.
  • Gather the required documentation: The documentation required for an expat mortgage application will vary from lender to lender, but typically includes proof of identity and residency, proof of income, proof of employment, proof of deposit and your credit report.
  • Apply for the mortgage: Once you have found a lender and gathered the required documentation, you can apply for the mortgage. The application process will vary from lender to lender, but typically includes submitting an application form, providing supporting documentation, and undergoing a credit check.
  • Get approved for the mortgage: Once the lender has reviewed your application, they will let you know if you have been approved for the mortgage. If you are approved, they will provide you with a loan offer.
  • Sign the loan documents: Once you have accepted the loan offer, you will need to sign the loan documents. This will officially make you the borrower of the mortgage.

Who is Eligible?

Australian expats can get a home loan in Australia if they meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You must have a valid Australian passport.
  • You must have a stable income from a foreign source.
  • You must be able to provide proof of funds for the down payment and other costs associated with buying a property in Australia.

The amount you can borrow depends on your individual circumstances, such as your income, assets, and credit history. In general, you may be able to borrow up to 95% of the purchase price of a property, but you may have to pay Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI).

What Documents Do I Require?

The specific documentation requirements can vary between lenders and depending on your individual circumstances, but here is a general list of documents that you might need to provide when applying for a home loan to buy Australian property from overseas.

Proof of Identity and Residency/Citizenship

This includes a copy of your passport or national identity card, proof of Australian citizenship (if applicable), or proof of Australian permanent residency (if applicable).

Proof of Income

This includes your recent payslips (if you're employed), employment contract or letter from your employer, recent tax returns or income statements, or rental income statements (if applicable).

Proof of Assets and Liabilities

This includes bank statements (both local and international accounts) to show your savings and financial stability and statements for other assets such as investments, shares, or properties you might own.

Credit History

If available, provide your overseas credit report to demonstrate your creditworthiness. This might not be mandatory, but it can help your case.

Property Details

This includes the purchase contract or offer and acceptance document for the property you intend to buy.

Taxation and Legal Documentation

Depending on your situation, you might need to provide tax returns or other financial documents required by Australian authorities.

Other Documentation

Depending on the lender and your individual situation, they might request additional documents to support your application.

Remember that documentation requirements can vary, and it’s important to check with your chosen lender or mortgage broker for their specific requirements.

Need a Home Loan with Teachers Mutual Bank ?

Teachers Mutual Bank does not offer direct mortgage products to Australian expats living overseas. As they do not offer mortgage-related products or services, you will need to find another lender for your Australian expat home loan.

If you are an Australian expat living overseas and need a mortgage, Odin Mortgage can help.

Odin Mortgage has years of experience dealing with lenders regarding overseas home loans. Reach out to us to discuss your requirements in detail and receive tailored solutions and support throughout the loan application process, even beyond settlement.

Other Australian Lender Reviews

Allow us to find you the perfect home loan.

Apply online to get expert recommendations with real interest rates and repayments.

FAQs About Teachers Mutual Bank

Teachers Mutual Bank does not offer home loans to Australian expats, permanent residents, or foreign investors living overseas. However, they do offer a variety of other financial products, such as insurance, credit cards, and personal loans catering to those working in the education sector in Australia.

Australian expats, permanent residents, and foreign investors living overseas who are looking for home loans will need to explore other banks and lending institutions that offer specialised products for non-resident borrowers.

Many traditional banks and financial institutions in Australia offer overseas mortgage options, so it is important to do your research and compare rates and terms before you apply.

Yes, consulting a mortgage broker who specialises in non-resident home loans can be very beneficial. These professionals have the expertise to navigate the complex landscape of overseas mortgages and can guide you to the most suitable lenders and products for your specific situation.

See What You Qualify For

Get Immediate Insights on Your Mortgage Eligibility Discover your mortgage eligibility instantly
Featured In
Geo Expat Logo
Asia xpat Logo
Expat.com Logo
Expat Living Logo
Easy Expat Logo

10 Best Tips for Australian Expats to Maximise Borrowing Power & Approval Success