First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) TAS
Buying a home is a big decision, and it can be even more daunting if you’re an Australian expat. But there are a number of government programs available to help first home buyers, including the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) in Tasmania.
The FHOG is a one-off payment of up to $30,000 that can be used towards the purchase of a new or newly built home in Tasmania. To be eligible, you must meet certain criteria, including being an Australian citizen or permanent resident, being aged 18 or over, and not having owned a home in Australia before.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the FHOG in Tasmania, including the eligibility criteria, how to apply, and some tips for first home buyers.
Eligibility Criteria for FHOG in TAS
To be eligible for the FHOG in Tasmania, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- You must be aged 18 or over.
- You must not have owned a home in Australia before.
- You must be purchasing a new or newly built home in Tasmania.
- The purchase price of the home must be less than $750,000.
Get a free Australian mortgage assessment today.
How to Apply for FHOG TAS
To apply for the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) in Tasmania, follow these steps:
- Obtain the application form: Visit the State Revenue Office website of Tasmania to find the application form for the FHOG. The form should be available for download or online submission.
- Gather necessary documents: Collect the required documents to support your application. These typically include:
- Proof of identity and Australian citizenship or permanent residency: You may need to provide a certified copy of your passport, birth certificate, or citizenship certificate.
- Proof of age: Provide a certified copy of your driver’s licence, passport, or birth certificate to verify your age.
- Proof of not owning a home before: You will need to provide evidence that you have not previously owned a residential property in Australia. This could include a statutory declaration or documentation showing that you have never held a title for a property.
- Copy of the contract of sale: Include a copy of the contract of sale for the home you are purchasing. This document should demonstrate that you are buying or building a new home or a substantially renovated home.
- Complete the application form: Fill out the application form with accurate and up-to-date information. Make sure to provide all the necessary details as required, including your personal information, property details, and financial information.
- Attach supporting documents: Compile all the supporting documents mentioned above and attach them to your completed application form. Ensure that you have certified copies of the required documents where necessary.
- Submit the application: Submit your completed application form along with the supporting documents to the State Revenue Office. Review the application to ensure that all sections are complete and signed where necessary.
- Await confirmation and processing: Once you have submitted your application, the State Revenue Office will review your documents and process your application. It may take some time for them to assess your eligibility and grant the FHOG.
- Follow up if necessary: If you have not received any confirmation or response within a reasonable time, consider contacting the State Revenue Office to inquire about the status of your application.
Tips for First Home Buyers
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Tasmania, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Start saving early: The FHOG is a great help, but it’s not going to cover the entire cost of a home. So it’s important to start saving as early as possible.
- Get pre-approved for a loan: A pre-approval will give you an idea of how much you can afford to borrow and will make the home buying process go more smoothly.
- Do your research: Before you start looking at homes, it’s important to do your research and understand the Tasmanian property market. This will help you make an informed decision about where to buy and what to look for.
- Get a good real estate agent: A good real estate agent can help you find the right home for your needs and budget.
What If I’m an Expat Living Overseas
If you are an expat living overseas and wish to apply for the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) in Tasmania, you may still be eligible. However, there may be additional requirements and considerations to keep in mind. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Confirm eligibility: Review the eligibility criteria for the FHOG in Tasmania to ensure that you meet all the requirements, including residency and property criteria. Typically, you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and the property must be located in Tasmania.
- Obtain necessary documents: Gather the required documents as mentioned earlier, such as proof of identity, proof of age, and proof of not owning a home in Australia before. Depending on your situation, you may also need to provide additional documents to support your overseas residency status, such as a valid visa or proof of employment abroad.
- Complete the application form: Download or obtain the application form for the FHOG from the State Revenue Office website. Fill out the form accurately and provide all the necessary information as required.
- Provide supporting documents: Attach all the required supporting documents to your application form. Ensure that you have certified copies of the documents where necessary. If any documents are in a language other than English, you may need to provide certified translations.
- Submit the application: Submit your completed application form and supporting documents to the State Revenue Office. Consider sending it through a secure and reliable postal service or electronic submission method, if available.
- Seek professional advice: Given the complexity of applying for the FHOG as an expat, it may be beneficial to consult with a qualified professional, such as a migration agent or tax advisor. They can provide guidance specific to your situation and help ensure that you meet all the requirements and provide the necessary documentation.
- Follow up and communication: Keep track of your application and follow up with the State Revenue Office if needed. Since you are applying from overseas, it may be helpful to provide your contact details, including an email address or phone number, through which the office can reach you for any additional information or updates.
If you are not currently eligible for the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) in Tasmania due to your tax residency status as an expat living overseas, you may still have the opportunity to apply for the grant in the future when you return to Australia and purchase a property.
When you become a tax resident of Australia and meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for the FHOG at that time. It’s important to note that eligibility requirements and grant amounts may be subject to change, so it’s advisable to stay updated on the latest guidelines and regulations set forth by the State Revenue Office of Tasmania.
What If I’m a Foreign Investor?
In general, non residents are not eligible to apply for the First Home Owners Grant.
If you are a foreign investor, consider exploring other incentives or programs that may be available to first-time buyers or foreign investors. Each state or territory in Australia may have its own initiatives to support homebuyers, so it’s worth researching and seeking advice to explore alternative options.
Speak with a Professional Mortgage Broker
The FHOG in Tasmania is a great way to save money on your first home purchase. If you’re an Australian expat living overseas, be sure to check out the FHOG and see if you’re eligible.
To explore your options and get expert assistance, I recommend speaking with a professional mortgage broker who can provide personalised advice tailored to your specific circumstances. They will be able to guide you through the process and help you make informed decisions.
If you’re considering applying for the FHOG in Tasmania, speak with our team of mortgage experts today to get the assistance you need.
Get a free Australian mortgage assessment today.
Frequently asked questions
If you’re not eligible for the FHOG, there are still a number of other government programs available to help first home buyers. These programs include the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme (FHLDS) and the HomeShare Scheme.
The processing time for an application for the FHOG varies but generally takes a few weeks. However, it can be subject to factors like application volume, completeness, and verification procedures.